Saturday, May 26, 2012

Powell River

Ferry Ride from the Sunshine Coast to Powell River, BC.
One of the really great things about my job working for Alpha is that I get to travel around BC and find out what is happening at the local church level around the province. Today i travel 4 hours north of Vancouver. Two ferry rides later and after some spectacular view - some of the most breathe taking views I have ever seen in my life we arrived at the Westview Baptist church, where they were hosting us for their missions fest. I came up with Jason Ballard and the Campus Fire Crew - Chris Hall and Timmy G as Jason was invited to lead one of the breakout seminars and and evening talk. I had a great day hanging out the these guys -  super fun loving and such a heart for God's Kingdom.

At lunch Jason and I meet with a bunch of people who have been involved in running Alpha in Powell River over the last decade. Not to my surprise I encountered the usual Alphaholics (people who just go on alpha over and over and over again and make alpha the be all and end all of their faith) who usually frequent some of the smaller towns. However, these people had a different vibe. They genuinely got the Alpha vision and from the world Go have been really passionate about sharing the Gospel of Jesus. One of the oldest and softest spoken ladies in the room name Margie, told us how when she first heard of Alpha, she brought the videos and hosted 20 people in her house. She just believe in God using it. Many years and many Alpha courses down the road, she is still actively involved in making God known through Alpha. I really am humble when people want to stick with the vision, and not jsut move on to the next best thing like so many people from my generation. i was reminding again that there is so much to learn from the elderly, who are so gracious and humble in heart, yet love the Lord with a deep passion and conviction. 

At the end of the day I am so thankful for this opportunities to understand and witness the outworking of God's church here on earth. What a privilege it is to do what I do.


No comments: